First Workings partners with a select number of high schools in NYC. We seek high school juniors from underserved and underrepresented communities who are high-achieving, motivated, and have enormous potential. Students go through a rigorous application process to seek admittance into First Workings. We begin building relationships with students through frequent email communication, training students in professional development, and coordinating on-boarding processes at internship sites. Our summer internships typically take place over two weeks in July.
- Paid two-week internship experience in matched industry or career
- Tailored professional development training
- Personalized support from First Workings
Upon being accepted, students commit to participating in 5 interactive virtual workshops facilitated by the First Workings team. The workplace readiness curriculum includes:
- Communication and networking
- Interview Skills
- Identifying Hard and Soft Skills
- Values and Boundaries
- Diversity in the Workplace
- Financial Literacy
- Workplace and online etiquette
- Training tailored to your industry (e.g. Excel, G Suite, etc.)
Students and First Workings Alumni are also invited to attend virtual workshops facilitated by our Internship Partners. By partnering with industry leaders to lead workshops, we are able to expose students to careers in various industries, teach them specific skills necessary to be successful, and help students gain social capital. We are proud to offer up to four enrichment workshops each month.
Support We Provide
In order to make the internship experience as successful, enjoyable, and seamless as possible, First Workings provides the following:
- Select and match motivated interns for two-week internship based on students’ career interests
- Prepare interns with professional development training
- Provide materials such as MetroCards, lunch stipend, commute plan, and appropriate attire (when needed)
- Help desk for employers, parents/guardians, and students
- Regular check-ins to support interns and employer
Interns who successfully complete the internship will be invited to join First Workings for the Annual Student Celebration. The celebration is held in the fall and is a special opportunity to honor our interns, Internship Partners, School Partnerships, and families.